Members: Dan Pressburg, Joni Ricks-Oddie, Keith Oddie, Darlene Broom, Elizabeth Horin, Ryan Blazer, Corazon Lomeli
Guests: Shawna Stevens (District 9 Chief of Staff), Father Ramon (San Juan Diego Catholic Church)
6:55PM Welcome to DPNA Neighborhood Association (DPNA) Executive Board Meeting
7:05PM Old Business
- Let’s Make Deal update –
- Low turnout but people who went enjoyed themselves. One individual one two scooters.
- In future, might consider going different date such as weekend and maybe consider getting a bus for transport. If we can get 30 people signed up can get free bus.
- Need to attract more people and plan more in advance.
- Other fundraising
- Grants funding
- $5000 to be budgeted via special grant for planters issue at Deforest
- Deforest Park Eliminating Staff
- Potential Operators discussed
- Darlene Bloom met with stakeholders and there is some reassurance that discussions are occurring to not be completely shutdown with potential $5000 to be budgeted via grants for planter issues.
- Action plan following DPNA meeting on Wed. 9/21/2017 where many concerns were voiced – Continue to invite community members to provide input; have meeting with representative at next DPNA monthly meeting for Question and Answer; develop ad-hoc committee; consider a meeting with Marie Knight and Rex Richardson; Obtain updates
- Dine Out 90805 – Monday, October 30, 2017 was next date at Cajun Crab located at 3253 E. South St. Long Beach, CA 90805. Thought about changing to 10/23/2017 due to being too close to Halloween. To proceed with making flyer.
- Handout on Dine Out Planning and Promotion Key Points:
- Take form letter and confirm date with restaurant and key contact information.
- Consider following ideas: a) promote certain items b) offer specials c) invite owner or manager to speak and bring samples of food to DPNA meeting d) follow-up prior to event, e) see if have social media and post flyer there as well
- Need to create flyer and post as well as handout at various places or meetings
- Use a variety of social media to promote, such as Nextdoor, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- On Facebook,post to local groups
- Francis Neighborhood is open to helping with event.
- Encouraged Council District 9 and Uptown Business Improvement to post in their newsletters.
- E-mail blast week before event – Ryan.
- Hand out flyers at other community events, such as Pop Up and Crop Swap
- Hand out flyers at DPNA meeting and other neighborhood associations (especially those close to restaurant) – St. Francis, Collins, Grant, Hamilton, Starr King, College Square, Coolidge, Houghton, Andy Street, Longwood, and Jane Addams. Elizabeth can post through Leadership Long Beach.
7:40PM New Business
- Veterans Festival and Parade
- Hospitality with VIPs help
- Gathering volunteers through different formats – Darlene and Elizabeth agreed to work station on Saturday 11/11 celebration with golf and putting
- National Coming Out Day event in North Long Beach now at Houghton Park on Saturday 10/14 from 2:00PM-5:00PM – DPNA asked if we wanted to participate but might be hard with other events and travel schedules
- Foodfinders application – obtained donated food items for DPNA events; need to obtain DPNA contact with food handlers license – Elizabeth will talk to husband and get back to Darlene
Motion to adjourn Dan,1st and 2nd
Adjourn at 8:20PM
Reminders and Dates to Remember:
- Long Beach Veteran’s Day Parade – Last Tuesday of the month
- 7:00AM Good Neighbors – Spires at Del Amo and Cherry – 2nd Tuesday of the month
- 7:00PM Starr King – 1st Wed. of the Month
- 7:00PM Grant Meeting – American legion Post 560 at 59th and Orange – 2nd Thursday of the month
- 7:00PM Coolidge Triangle Neighborhood Association – 3rd Wednesday of the month
- Volunteers for the Veterans VIP Breakfast (11/3) and for Celebration (11/11)
- North Long Beach Christmas Party
Next Board Meeting on Wed. 11/22 or 11/29 at LB Historic Dairy and Creamery