DPNA Board Meeting Minutes – March 21, 2018

Date: 3/21/2018

Members: Ryan Blazer, Darlene Broom, Elizabeth Horin, Corazon Lomelai, and Keith Oddie, and Joni Ricks-Oddie

Guests: Chana Ephriam ( Uptown BID)


7:12PM Welcome DPNA Neighborhood Association (DPNA) Executive Board Meeting – Meeting called by Vice President Joni Ricks-Oddie


Old Business


  • Dine-out 90805
    • Sal’s Gumbo Shack in Dine 90805 possibly in May 201 for breakfast

Fundraising update – Darlene

  • Media Equipment from Mike Gibson’s office – need to submit letters
    • Equipment can range from $500 to $6000


  • Facebook Charitable Account – want to be connected to bank account for donations
    • Consider a separate account for donations
    • Currently, checking account for general funds and another for restricted funds
    • Consider adding it to the general funds and determining whether we can restrict how it occurs and where it goes, especially with regard to incoming money or withdrawal funds
    • Motion made to approve Facebook donations to General Fund and determine allocations – Motion made to approve, 2nded and approved; no abstentions
    • Unlikely that Facebook would debit out funds from account
    • Need to have a minimum balance

Treasurer update – Keith

  • $800 check from Port of Long Beach for Chili Cook-Up for restricted funds; additional funds to come after event occurs
  • $837 in general account
  • $1600 in restricted accounts
  • $5000 for planters at Deforest Park for a matching grant– some planters already have irrigation done by LB Park & Recreation, which is their portion; waiting for approval to complete the work
  • Darlene Broom sent e-mail to follow-up with Jim Osgood and Jim Livingston from Resource Center to follow-up on grant; no response in a week; will follow-up again
  • Next Port grant needs to be released by a certain date for the Teen Summit (applied for $1500); Darlene will contact the library this week
  • Need to send Arts Council grant for poetry slam
  • Upcoming DPNA meetings
    • April 2018 Meeting – Budget Meeting with Pat West – need to follow-up with Dan Pressburg
    • Earthquake Preparedness – Library holding the date; Rex Richardson to approve the event; spoke to Ralph Brooks with Houghton Park Neighborhood Association to bring in other associations
    • Paranormal Event in October 2018; contact made; need to solidify date
    • Need to book library for July 2019 at this point and as to make it a recurrent event for Chili Cook-off
    • Chili Cook-off for this year will ask Mike Gibson for judge; confirm with Rex Richardson for judge; need ask about dietary restrictions for all judges; Corazon to do giveaways at Chili Cook-off
    • Need to follow-up with 9th District resident regarding website – Shirin Senegal

Motion to adjourn Joni,1st, and 2nd

Adjourn at 8:26PM


Reminders and Dates to Remember:

  • 7:00AM Good Neighbors – Spires at Del Amo and Cherry – 2nd Tuesday of the month
  • 7:00PM Starr King – 1st Wed. of the Month
  • 7:00PM Grant Meeting – American Legion Post 560 at 59th and Orange – 2nd Thursday of the month
  • 7:00PM Coolidge Triangle Neighborhood Association – 3rd Wednesday of the month

Next Board Meeting on Wed. 4/25/2018 at LB Historic Dairy and Creamery.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Send Us a Message
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
let's Work together

By entering your mobile phone number, you will be subscribed to our SMS/text alerts (local carrier rates may apply).

list, icon, symbol

We use cookies to personalize your experience on our website. By using our website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

let's Work together

By entering your mobile phone number, you will be subscribed to our SMS/text alerts (local carrier rates may apply).