Life After a Big Quake
- Without earthquake insurance, you will be responsible for all costs to repair or rebuild — or to live and eat elsewhere — if an earthquake forces you from your home.
- Earthquakes will disrupt services like electricity, water and sewer, and communication devices, and may limit access in and out of the region.
- Government assistance may not be available. If it is, grants will be limited. Loans may not be enough to replace damaged belongings or repair your home, and they must be repaid.
- Taking steps now will give you confidence that you and your family are prepared to stay safe!
- Greater than 99% chance of a M6.7+ earthquake within the next 30 years
- 75% chance of a M7.0+ (3x stronger than Northridge) striking the region in the next 30 years
- 15,700 known faults in California
- 500+ active faults in California
- Most Californians live within 30 miles of an active fault